Thursday 20 June 2013

Project 25, re-branded

Project 25 was a dress from a grey crinkle fabric that I had in my stash.  While looking for something to sew I kept coming across the fabric, and kept on looking for something more inspiring to sew.  I recently pulled it out of the stash and looked at it.  The reason I kept ignoring it is that it was a truly boring, cheap synthetic fabric, and I can’t imagine wanting a dress made out of it!  When I put it on the list of 52 projects I was allocating fabrics from my stash while I was away from home, so couldn’t actually see any of the fabrics.  My idea was making a plain dress then adding embroidery or embellishment to make it something a little special.  In reality, a plain grey dress is going to struggle to be in the least bit special and the nature of this fabric makes it pretty close to impossible. 

While I was in the stash I did come across another grey print that I had forgotten about; it’s a very light weight knit with a small print of black white and grey.  Again, it’s never going to be a stunner, but I can see it being a very practical dress in a shape that flatters my figure.  I attempted this style in a blue, black and white lycra a month or so ago, but I rushed the project and made a few fundamental mistakes because I was rushing it.

The plan was to use the top from a wrap-effect top from Butterick 3344,
adding a full skirt and black bands to accentuate the wrap over effect.

When I made it before I ended up with the waist too high, so I added a plain black panel at the waist.  Although it was a mistake, I decided that the black waist panel actually worked, although it was too wide last time.

 

 I was a little more careful about calculating the waist measurements this time, so ended up with a circle skirt with lovely movement.  It is thin enough that the vast amount of fabric hangs well without looking bulky.

It’s not a show stopping dress, but it’s super-comfy and practical (and doesn’t need ironing)as a work day dress when I really can’t be bothered matching separates.  I’ve already worn it a few times and liked it. 

2 comments:

  1. It looks like an easy to throw on dress when you can't be bothered to think of what to wear without actually looking like you couldn't be bothered if that makes sense...Also anything that doesn't need ironing is a winner in my books! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sooo glad I'm not the only one who considers "doesn't need ironing" a positive consideration!

    ReplyDelete