Sunday 3 March 2013

Project 6 - the quilt

I never expected this one to be done in one sitting, but I have made a start.  I'm basing this on a Craftsy course Block of the Month 2012.  Yes, I know it's 2013 now, but my intention is to work through Amy Gibson's 20 blocks and then decide whether to make it into a quilt, or move on the 2013 block.

Anyway, the January (2012) blocks were both based on slashed blocks and I was very impressed by how easy Amy made them:
Asterisk

Wonky Pound Sign
 I've decided (at least for the moment) to use a black and white pallet, probably added greys at some point, and maybe even the odd red if I feel that it needs it.

It will either make a very striking quilt, or one that gives me a headache every time I look at it!  Watch this space.

I have also done one of the February blocks using half square triangles:
Balkan Puzzle


I'm wondering how well the various black and white prints will contrast as the quilt progresses, so I may end up varying the colours a bit more.

I was surprised how well my half square triangle came together.  I used Amy's "Magic Half Square Triangles"  to make up the squares.  I'm a bit handicapped by not having a cutting wheel thing and a cutting mat, so I end up drawing the cutting lines with a set square and ruler and cutting the the lines with  a pair of scissors

No comments:

Post a Comment